The fortress of Civitella del Tronto, at 600 metres above sea level, is in a strategic position close to the old northern border of the Viceroy of Naples with the Papal States. It is one of the largest and most important works of military engineering in Europe. The Aragonese castle is probably built over an existing Medieval fort and was completely refurbished in 1564, by the King of Spain, Philip II of Habsburg. Today the property is open to the public in all its parts thanks to a significant restoration by L’Aquila’s historical, architectural and environmental heritage department. A tour will include three covered walkways, the cisterns (one of which can be entered), the long parapet walks, the remains of the governor’s palace, the church of San Giacomo, and the military barracks. There is a breath-taking view from the fortress, which is also home to the Museo delle Armi, four showrooms of weapons and period maps, the latter related to the history of Civitella del Tronto.