Campli’s Holy Stairs were inaugurated on 21 January 1772 thanks to a Papal Privilege issued by Clement XIV. The sacred construction is made up of 28 wooden steps, which pilgrims must climb on their knees, to seek remission of sins. Those who perform the rite receive a plenary indulgence which has the same value as that of the Scala Santa in Rome. The Campli shrine, in addition to the religious significance is also a place of great artistic and cultural meaning: both during the ascent and the descent, the penitent will metaphorically journey through the Passion, Death and Resurrection of Christ, by reading the images shown in the six large canvases on both sides. At the top of the steps there is a grate that leads to the Sancta Sanctorum, the shrine’s true heart.