Torre Cerrano

S.S.16 Adriatica km 431, 64025, Pineto (TE) Start navigator

The Cerrano tower, built in 1568, was one of the ancient coastal towers of the Kingdom of Naples located along the Adriatic, in the province of Teramo, between Silvi and Pineto. It is one of the few that has survived intact of what was a dense network of such fortifications, ordered by the King of Naples to repel frequent Turkish and Saracen attacks from the sea. Today the tower is on loan to the Consorzio di Gestione dell’Area Marina Protetta Torre del Cerrano and the Istituto Zooprofilattico Sperimentale Abruzzo e Molise, and home to the International Veterinary Training Centre, as well as a library. A museum of the sea and an information desk for the marine protected area are work in progress. 

Related routes